Box mod vapes and variations thereof have become a large part of the vaping device market. The ultimate option for vapor lovers, box mods offer users the most economical, satisfying and adjustable vaping experience.
The predominant reasons that users seek box mod vapes are power, adjustability and affordability. For vapor users who are comfortable with electronics (ie. making slight adjustments in wattage and voltage settings), box mods are a must-have.
When compared to typical non-refillable pod based devices, box mods price per mL of e liquid is often several hundred percent cheaper.
For example, if a 4 pack of 0.7 mL ‘pods’ costs $9.99, that’s $3.57 per 1 mL. Conversely, a 30 mL bottle of e liquid priced at $19.99 is roughly 0.67 per 1 mL. If the average vapor user consumers 1 mL of e liquid per day, they can expect to pay $107.10 over a 30 day period or $1285.20 per year. For the sake of comparison, a vapor user utilizing a box mod system would pay an average of only $20.10 per month or $241.20 per year.
Best Box Mod Vape Overall for July 2020
Features & Settings
Easy to Operate
Table of Contents
Complete Guide to Box Mod Vapes
When it comes to box mod vapes, it’s all about performance and customization. Consumers who consider or use full-sized box mod vapes couldn’t generally care less about size or intuitiveness. With that being said, there are certainly some box mods that are sleeker, easier to operate and maintain than others. However, box mods open vapor users up to the wide world of vaping hardware including rebuildable tanks (RBA’s: RDA’s, RTA’s and RDTA’s).
There was a time, relatively recently, where vapor enthusiasts had to search high and low in hopes of customizing their device for ‘sub-ohm’ vaping. Nowadays, it’s actually more difficult to locate a box mod vaping setup that isn’t designed for sub-ohm resistance (at least out of the box). For those that don’t already know, sub-ohm vaping simply refers to utilizing a device and tank capable of heating a coil at 1.0 ohm or below.
If you’re new to box mods and are uneasy about the technical aspects of vaping, don’t be deterred. The fact is, most box mod starter kits are easy to setup and begin vaping right away. Further, as long as you have the correct coil-head, the process literally only involves screwing it into the tank, filling the tank with e liquid and adjusting a few settings to optimize your vaping experience.
As a new box mod user, the first things you’ll need to understand about fine tuning your vaping experience are wattage, temperature and airflow. As complicated as vaping has the potential to be, it all comes down to power, heat and air. Essentially, if you have the right hardware and e liquid, the only thing between you and vaping satisfaction are a few adjustments to match your style.
Now, for the more technical savvy vapor users, the sky is the limit in terms of customization and testing of various vaping setups. From building your own coils to testing stainless steel, nickel, nichrome, titanium and kanthal wire, trial and error is the name of the game. Vapor users who use box mods each find their own best setup and settings. For example, some users prefer ceramic coil-heads as compared to stainless steel, some prefer mesh coils or other hybrid types over standard wick and wire. Any way you slice it, the goal for most advanced vapor users is to have a solid setup for both 50PG and high VG e liquids.
Check out our Best Vapes of 2020 article for a more complete list of all of our favorite and recommended standard box, mini and even baby sized mods. We also go much more in-depth about all of the commonly used vapor terminology in the guide section.
Main Types and Features of Box Mod Vapes
At first glance, determining which box mod vape to purchase can be incredibly confusing to new vapor users. Because box mods are so filled with various settings, users are not only left wondering exactly what each setting or option means, but also whether or not they actually need it in the first place.
Therefore, it’s imperative for new users to have a firm grasp on the main types and features of box mods from a top level. To simplify the process of choosing your next box mod vape, we’ve broken down box mods into two main categories. While there are an incredible amount of different setups that can be built from box mods, identifying first as either a standard box mod or a squonk box mod should be the first distinction. From that point on, it’s all about prioritizing features, settings and options that most closely match your desired vaping style.
Main types of box mod vapes:
- Standard box mods is a generic term used to describe physically boxy vaping devices that connect to an e liquid tank and have adjustable settings. While the most popular and typical type of e liquid tank that functions with a standard box mod is one that utilizes pre-built coil-heads, these types of vapes can typically support a rebuildable (RBA: RDA, RTA, RDTA) setup as well. Tanks that utilize pre-built coil-heads come in various e liquid capacity capabilities, ranging anywhere from roughly 2.5 mL, all the way up to 8 mL. Lastly, the amount of adjustable settings can vary from just one to an enormous amount and is mostly based on the devices chipset.
Squonk box mods are a relatively new vaping device category that’s growing rapidly in popularity. Similar to standard box mods, squonk (squonkers) box mods feature adjustable settings, run e liquid and are ‘boxy’ in shape. However, squonk box mods are entirely designed around RDA’s and the efficiency and performance thereof. The name squonk is derived from the fact that users actually squeeze a built-in plastic bottle to manually force e liquid from the bottom of the device (bottom feeder) to the atomizer. Importantly, squonks have a tremendous e liquid capacity (7 mL +++), making the need to refill less frustrating.
Having trouble grasping why someone would go through the trouble of using such a manually based and seemingly inefficient system to vape? Advanced vapor users flock to squonks because they deliver an unsurpassed vaping experience. Squonks deliver a more satisfying experience in terms of releasing dynamic flavors and tremendous amounts of vapor. Still not a believer? RDA’s are the backbone of vape mods, where it all started.
People used to go through the trouble of manually dripping e liquid onto their RDA’s every 3 to 5 puffs (dripping), solely based on the increased performance as compared to standard e liquid tanks with pre-built coil-heads. In-fact, RTA’s and RDTA’s were both solely built in an effort to make vaping RDA’s more efficient. However, the vast majority of RTA’s and RDTA’s suffered form leaking issues, leaving users frustrated beyond belief. This is where and why squonks were born. They’re essentially mechanical mod hybrid systems that deliver optimal performance without leaking.
Importantly, due to the fact that squonk box mods utilize RDA’s (manual system), they don’t have as many digital features, settings and options as standard box mods. For example, you won’t find any touchscreen squonk mods and the available built-in safety mechanisms on squonkers are limited compared to standard box mods, especially those with advanced chipsets.
Available notable standard box mod features to consider (some of these features such as VW, VV and even TC are also available on squonk mods):
- Variable Wattage (VW) is self explanatory and allows the user to easily adjust wattage in the allotted range. Most, if not all box mods, including squonks, feature a variable wattage mode. In a nutshell, more wattage equals more power and thus more vapor. It’s important however to point out that too much wattage can create a burnt taste if not fine-tuned correctly with the atomizers resistance and or voltage.
- Variable Voltage (VV) is also self explanatory for the most part, allowing users to easily adjust their devices voltage at any given time. The majority of VW mods are also VV. In other words, if you come across a box mod that’s labeled VW, it’s highly likely that it also has VV.
- Temperature Control (TC) is a popular feature that aims to simplify the need for adjusting wattage and voltage settings, while still delivering easy adjustability and high performance. In TC mode, users simply adjust the temperature either in Fahrenheit or Celsius that their coil reaches when firing. In other words, TC mode regulates the temperature of the coil and is an adjustable setting.
- Touchscreen: The fact is, vapor users are flocking to box mods for their high performance capabilities and low cost of use. However, they’ve been met with somewhat complicated or non-intuitive devices, similar to operating MS-DOS compared to macOS. In fancy terms, this is essentially known as the User Interface or UI for short. In today’s modern age, where consumers have as much computing power on their phone as entire militaries had at their disposal in the 1960’s, they demand intuitive interfaces in their vapes. One of the highest priorities for some vapor users is intuitiveness and touch-screens are the answer.
- Chipsets & Firmware: Computer chips are the brain of your box mod vape and some are much more advanced than others. The more features, functions and settings, the more advanced the chip. If you have a desire for your vape to be highly digitized and host a wide range of easily navigable settings, pay attention to chipsets. Some chips are even able to be updated either via connecting to your computer with a usb cable or via bluetooth. Updating your chipset is also known as updating firmware and is typically designed to fix bugs or glitches in the software. While not a high priority for the majority of vapor users, some users have fallen in love with certain chips. Similar to the following of Pentium computer chips in the early 2000’s, we’re seeing similar followings of chip brands known as DNA and OMNI when it comes to box mod vapes.
- Safety Controls: Not surprisingly, vaping safety is a very high priority for both users and vape device manufacturers. While the overwhelming majority of box mod vapes have sufficient safety controls, some are more robust than others. Common safety controls to look for are short circuit protection, over-heating protection and 10 second cut-off timers. On top of these automatic or built-in safety features, most users like have manual hold or lock switches as well, ensuring that the device isn’t firing unintentionally.
- System Settings & Themes: As box mod chipsets evolve and advanced versions become more widely available, the number of available features and settings will similarly increase. A few of the more advanced features we’re already beginning to see are things like memory slots, digital passcodes and aesthetic themes. Memory slots allow users to save groups of settings for particular types of e liquids, making having to manually adjust and remembering particular settings a thing of the past. Theme settings are another great aspect of advanced chipsets and allow users to easily change the look of their devices rather it be via colors, graphics or a combination of both.
- Built-in & Removable Batteries: More and more inexpensive box mod vapes are featuring built-in batteries. Typically built-in batteries are either one or two 18650’s and are of course, non-removable. While there’s little downside in terms of performance initially, most users report a drop of power and longevity in about one year. Alternatively, removable batteries give users the option of easily swapping batteries out as opposed to having to replace an entire device. If you’re experimenting particularly with rebuildable atomizers and are going to be testing various batteries, just be sure the wattage and amps are rated for your device.
- Puff Settings: A rising trend in box mods with advanced chipsets are puff settings. Puff settings allow users to monitor their total puff-count and even set a limit to help regulate use.
Where to Buy Box Mod Vapes and Coil Heads
Out of all the different kinds of vapor devices, box mods are by far and away, the most popular and most prevalent. As noted numerous times throughout this article, this is due to the performance and the cost effectiveness of box mods. With all of that being said, the real challenge that exists in finding your next box mod vape is understanding the plethora of available features and various types of devices. It’s obviously our hope that this article has laid at least some groundwork in increasing your box mod vape vocabulary and ultimately making your decision easier.
If cost is one of the primary drivers in deciding where to buy a box mod, we strongly suggest making your purchase online, from a reputable online vape shop. Brick and mortar retail vape shops are great and we fully support their continued success across America, however, like all other retail industries, vapor products are cheaper online. If everything vapor related is too much technology for you to grasp via self-education, brick and mortar vape shops are worth the extra money because you’ll not only get a solid vape, you’ll get an education in the process.
Whatever box mod vape you decide to buy, just be sure you know exactly what it’s going to take to keep it operational. Outside of the obvious like e liquid, chances are that you’ll be needing coil-heads. How many coil-heads will depend on your usage rate and vaping equipment quality. Nonetheless, you should expect to use roughly 1 coil-head every 1 to 3 days. If you choose a widely available box mod from a reputable brand, you shouldn’t have any problems finding replacement coil-heads online or in retail vape shops. If on the other hand, you choose a relatively obscure type of device, tank and or brand, it can be a real pain to locate critical components of your vape.
Below are our favorite online vape shops that are worth considering when buying box mod vapes:
- Direct Vapor
- Element Vape
- Giant Vapes
- Vape Wild
- Eight Vape
- My Vapor Store
Best Selling Box Mod Vape Brands
Again, when buying your first box mod vape, a top priority should be reputation. While a new device from a new company can be incredibly alluring, if that device and or brand has zero staying power, you could be left high and dry when it comes to finding necessary components, namely coil-head replacements.
The following box mod vape device brands are well established and are among the best selling in America:
- Geek Vape
- Lost Vape
- Vandy Vape
Best Box Mod Vapes of All Time
With the incredible amount of box mod devices on the market, getting noticed, gaining traction or going viral is insanely difficult. Because there are so many box mod options, market share is divided among hundreds of devices, even at the upper echelons of the category.
However, box mods have been around for long enough for consumers to experiment with various brands, devices and vaping setups. Coupled with American ingenuity and our addiction to social media, a few box mod devices were able to beat the odds, go viral and emerge as best sellers.
Below are a few of the greatest box mod vapes of all time:
- Smok – G-Priv Series
- Smok – Mag Series
- Smok – Alien & Species Series’
- Lost Vape – Jackaroo Series
- Vandy Vape – Jackaroo Series
- Vaporesso – Revenger Series
- Vaporesso – Tarot Series
- Geek Vape – Aegis Series
- Wismec – Reuleaux Series
- SnowWolf – MFENG Series
- VooPoo – Drag Series
- Innokin – Kroma Series
What’s The Best Box Mod Vape?
Some box mod vape users are very tech savvy and can’t sleep without the prospect of more options, features and settings of their vape. Other vapor users simply want low maintenance and reliable performance at a fair price. Additionally, some users fall somewhere between these two opposite approaches of vaping. Therefore, what’s best for one is certainly not best for all.
With that in mind, if you’ve read this far, we’re guessing that you’re relatively new to box mod vapes. In which case, we’d recommend sticking to trusted names like Smok, Vaporesso and Geek Vape. Furthermore, we suggest seeking out standard e liquid tanks that utilize coil-heads as opposed to any rebuildable setup.
|Box Mod Vape||Best for…|
|Smok G-Priv 3 Box Vape||Overall Best In Class|
|iJoy Zenith 3 Box Vape||Features & Settings|
|Aspire Speeder Box Vape||Easy to Operate|
|VooPoo Drag 2 Box Vape||Affordability|
|SnowWolf ZEPHYR Box Vape||Battery Life|
|Smok Mag Grip Box Vape||Ergonomics|
|Vaporesso Revenger X Box Vape||Streamlined Design|
|GeekVape Aegis X Box Vape||Durability|
|SnowWolf MFeng Box Vape||Luxurious Design|
|GeekVape Aegis Legend Zeus Box Vape||Legendary Status|
|ELeaf Lexicon Box Vape||Trend Setter|
We’re a small team, but we’ve been vaping for several years and have developed a reputation for delivering it straight. We’ve received hundreds of vapor devices, including box mods, over the years. So many, believe it or not, that some haven’t even made it out of the cellophane wrapping yet. When it came to the production of this information, we tested as many devices as we could with their factory recommended standard tanks, coils and settings. While it’s not exactly a speedy method of testing, whenever possible, we ran both standard and high VG e liquids through the devices. In any event that we weren’t able to test box mods personally, we gathered as much publicly available information as possible, combined with our years of experience, in coming to our conclusions.